Thursday, November 6, 2008

Importance of Life...

I have been deeply saddened since receiving a phone call late yesterday evening. A friend of mine that I went to nursing school with received the terrible, heart breaking news that her only child was found dead in his apartment yesterday morning. I have not been able to think of anything else except how devastating this must be to her entire family and how quickly our own last breath may come.
We always hear "a parent should never have to bury their child" and yet I have witnessed it more times than I care to mention. In high school, my senior year, there were five young boys that all died one night after being hit head on by an eighteen wheeler. I think this is the first time I actually realized how quickly our life here on Earth can end. Not long after graduation, I witnessed an 18 year old roll his truck off the highway into a light pole to avoid a bedliner that had flown out of the back of a truck and was heading directly towards him (and myself). He died at the scene of the accident. In clinicals during nursing school, I had an infant die on the table in the ER. Three days after receiving my nursing degree, Casey and I witnessed a fatal hit-and-run auto-pedestrian accident. In all of these situations, a parent has had to bury their child; and it absolutely terrifies me.
Not until last night have I ever gotten a good understanding of all this. I had to work last night, so sleep was not an option. And, I forgot the book that I am currently reading at home, so I had a lot of time to think....and pray. I prayed for God to give my friend peace and to bless her and her family with the strength they need to get through the days ahead. And, I prayed for my own understanding and admitted to God how unfair I thought it was that this mother was having to bury her son, who still had such a bright future and successful life ahead of him.
In those quiet moments in the wee-hours of the morning, when I was finally willing to be still and listen to God (instead of me doing all of the talking!), I got His message loud and clear. God didn't choose this. He never intended for his children to die. But temporary death is the price we must pay for the 'original sin' of Adam and Eve. Even then, that long ago, a mother had to bury her son. Eve had to bury Able, and yet she went on. And again, many, many years later, Mary had to bury her child, Jesus. And, yet, she went on.
God never gives us more than we can handle, so they say. But, I do believe that God wants us to fall to our knees, to humble ourselves, and depend on Him. He wants us to have faith that we will see our loved ones again. He doesn't say that we should not mourn, he says "do not mourn like the heathen without faith".
We have to believe that there is more to life than what we have here on this Earth, and yet we have to cherish every moment that we have here. Life on this Earth is only part of God's wonderful plan for us...the BEST is yet to come.
I look at my family, especially my babies, and I cannot imagine one moment without them here with me. By no means do I understand God's plan for us, but I have faith that whatever His plan is, is what will be best for me and all of my family. Would I have this same clarity if I were sitting where my friend is today? I can't say for sure. (I can't even say that I have clarity now, I just can't keep all of this bottled up inside today!). I can't imagine anything more devastating than losing a child. And I hope someone would be praying for my peace of mind and strength.
But, I pray that when we experience times like these we all take a little more time to appreciate the small things and take a little more time for those that we love. Go on a picnic. Take the kiddos to the park. Eat ice cream for dinner. Jump on the bed. Play with PlayDough. Say "I love you". All of the things that our babies will remember when we are no longer here ourselves.
More later...

No comments: